SS. Cyril & Methodius traces its roots to immigrants from Austria-Hungary who moved to farms in the Girard area shortly after the end of the first World War. The original congregation consisted of 35 families.
Without the resources to build their own church, and with the nearest related parish SS. Peter & Paul Church located 25 miles away in the city of Erie, the faithful were served by visiting priests who would hear confessions, distribute Holy Communion, and bless homes.
In 1952 the parishioneers decided to build their own church. They acquired a seven-acre tract of land on U.S. Route 20, an outright gift of the SS. Peter & Paul Church which until that point had been the home parish church of the Girard people. Ground was broken on August 12, 1952. All of the labor was donated by the pastor and parishioners.
The first divine liturgy was celebrated in the church basement on January 12, 1954. In October 1954 the congregation moved into the main church.